The Cupola of Chartered Bank
This British overseas bank has three storey building which garnished by copula, that is a small domed structure on top of its roof, the gallery which garnished by long arcade, and the Doric column which installed in the front facade.
The Marble Plague Inscription
“THE FIRST STONE OF THIS BUILDING WAS LAID ON 27 FEBRUARY 1921 BY JOYCE MURRAY STEWART DAUGHTER OF THE MANAGER OF THE BATAVIA AGENCY OF THE CHARTERED BANK OF INDIA, AUSTRALIAN, AND CHINA”
Broadly, this neo-classical architecture adopted the rationalism and traditionalism in early 20th century. It was the representative office of “Chartered Bank of India, Australia, & China” in Batavia, sited at Kali Besar West No. 1 – 2, on the corner of Gang Malaka and Kali Besar West. The bank’s traditional business was in cotton from Bombay, indigo and tea from Calcutta, rice from Burma, sugar from Java, tobacco from Sumatra, hemp from Manila and silk from Yokohama.
THE MAP OF KALI BESAR AND ITS SURROUNDINGS
Blue point indicates the position of this building
“Batavia Military Guide Map”
Published by Survey HQAFNEI in December 1945.
Source: KIT – Netherlands
Courtesy of Hatmanto Sri Nugroho
J. SABELIS & CO. HAARLEM – NETHERLANDS
J. Sabelis & Co., Paint and Glaseries, Spaarne 73-79 and Gierstraat 60 in Haarlem.
Below, the detail of J. Sabelis’s work.
It describes the plantation activity in Netherlands Indies
with the gesture in European style.
Man Carried Tobacco
Rice Pounding Lady
Lady with Her Handbag
Rubber Plantation Worker
The Chartered Bank of India, Australia and China was a bank founded in London by James Wilson following the grant of a Royal Charter from Queen Victoria.
[3 June 1805 – 11 August 1860]
Painted by Sir John Wilson Gordon
Source: National Portrait Gallery, London
The bank opened its first branches in Calcutta and Bombay and then Shanghai.1859
The bank opened a branch in Hong Kong and an agency in Singapore.1861
The Singapore agency was upgraded to a branch.
The bank was authorized to issue bank notes in Hong Kong,
and printed bank notes in China and Malaya in the following decades.
The Chartered Bank agency was established in Batavia.
The New York branch was established.
New building of representative office in Batavia was opened in Kali Besar West No. 1 – 2, on the corner of Gang Malaka and Kali Besar West with building size of 2,279 m2.
Designed by EHGH Cuypers (1859-1927)
The Chartered Bank was affected by Japanese occupation.
Chartered Bank bought the Eastern Bank together with the Ionian Bank’s Cyprus Branches. This established a presence in the Gulf.
The Indonesia government nationalized Chartered Bank’s operations in Indonesia and merged them into Bank Umum Negara (BUNEG).
The Indonesia government brought BUN into the Bank Negara Indonesia (BNI) group,
renaming it Bank Negara Indonesia Unit IV (BNI IV).
The Indonesian government again reorganized some banks. BNI IV became an independent bank with the name Bank Bumi Daya (BBD).
Chartered Bank merged with the Standard Bank of British South Africa
(founded by John Paterson in 1862) and became the Standard Chartered Bank.
The restructuring agenda for the banking sector
on the subject of financial and banking crisis,
the government merged four state ownership banks: Bank Bumi Daya (BBD), Bank Dagang Negara (BDN), Bank Ekspor Impor (Exim), and Bank Pembangunan Indonesia (Bapindo). The ne
w bank was established: Bank Mandiri.
THE ARCHITECTURE INSIGHT
The Chartered Bank in Batavia was designed by Amsterdam architect,
Eduard Gerard Hendrik Hubert Cuypers
(Roermond, 18th of April 1859 – Den Haag, 1st of June 1927)
TERMINATED THE CHARTERED BANK
By Cor Passchier“Het Indische Bouwen”
Architectuur en stedebouw in Indonesie
Seminar of Change and Heritge in Indonesian Cities, 1988